Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Playful

While Greg and I were away for the past week (helping our oldest daughter move up from LA), Danielle and Krispin took care of the house and of course, Scout. Danielle, who has actually lived with us for most of Scout's life, has never been a huge fan of my spazzy little dog. The fact that Scout barked at her everytime she walked through the door (Scout is kind of like the chick in 50 First Dates), didn't exactly endear her to my daughter.

Since Scout's illness, however, Danielle's sense of compassion kicked in and now she and Scout are best of friends. And after bonding for an entire week while I was gone, I'm wondering who Scout likes better now . . .

The most encouraging sign of Scout's improving health these days is her playfulness. She plays "gator dog" with Greg again and brings me her tuggy toy for a game each morning. She loves to go to the field and play "chase the ball," although she gets winded much quicker than before. She actually jumped up on our bed yesterday--she's not been able to jump since she got sick. All very encouraging signs.

I'm continuing to wean her off the prednisone slowly. When we get down to 5 mg., and she's still doing OK, we'll switch to every-other-day dosage. Scout's off her antibiotics, pain meds--she just takes prednisone along with all the supplements I'm giving her.

If she continues to improve at this rate, I'm hoping to take her on the Powell Butte hike next Saturday.

No comments: